This house was originally built in 1853 as a home and law office for James W. Robinson and his wife, Sarah, who were prominent members of the early San Diego community. After Robinson’s death in 1857, Sarah rented out rooms to various borders and businesses before finally selling it to Louis Rose in 1868. Rose was a German immigrant who was San Diego’s first Jewish settler.
By 1900, the building had apparently been demolished. It was reconstructed in 1989 by California State Parks.