Built in 1865, the Mason Street School was the first publicly owned school in San Diego. The building was a one-room structure 24 ft. x 30 ft. with a ten-foot high ceiling. All eight grades were taught in the single room.
In 1873 the building was moved and replaced by a two-story school. Many years later, portions of the original building were returned and reassembled.