The first portion of La Casa de Estudillo was built between 1827 and 1829 as the home of Presidio Commandante, Jose Maria Estudillo. Maria Victoria Estudillo, wife of Jose Antonio, raised a total of 21 children in this house, twelve of her own and nine adopted. The last Estudillo family members left in 1887 and the home fell into ruin.
In 1906, John D. Spreckles bought the building and hired architect Hazel Waterman to restore it. For many years, it was popularly known as Ramona’s Marriage Place, an alleged setting in Helen Hunt Jackson’s novel Ramona.
California State Parks acquired the property in 1968. It is one of the five historic adobes in the park.