Originally designed as a town hall, the 16 ft. by 27 ft. brick building was the first fired-brick building in San Diego and was constructed by the Mormon Battalion. Although they never actually engaged in battle, they were responsible for many improvements to the town, such as new brick-lined wells and laying out walkways.
The building was destroyed by the fire of 1872 and was reconstructed in 1992.
The building burned in the fire of 1872. Reconstructed by California State Parks in 1992. It currently houses the Wells Fargo Museum.